[Year 12 SofDev] Resource flows in a DFD

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Tue Apr 15 10:19:04 EST 2008

My understanding from Uni days is that DFD's are diagrams of logical systems
and represent flow of information. I don't quite follow what you mean when
you say a resource flow, Mark, but the DFD can in my opinion show things
such as book orders, for example, as this is a flow of information, however,
it would not show that it is Michael who has ordered the books, or that he
has ordered it over the phone, etc.

The physical design provides information about how the processing takes
place. It may show who sends or receives the information, who manipulates
the data, where it is manipulated, what happens to it, what structure it
takes, whether the transaction occurs on the computer, the Internet, by
telephone, by cash register or by a paper-based method. The physical design
will also include details about the specifications of the hardware and
software that is to be used in the information system. It uses diagrams such
as hierarchy charts, structure charts and system flow charts to represent
the information.

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO
Australian Institute of Education and Training
P.O. Box 171
Brunswick West 3055
Ph: (03) 9387 2051
FAX: (03) 9387 3470