[Year 12 SofDev] Depth of coverage challenge

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Sep 19 08:55:35 EST 2007

Hi Frank,

I wanted to give you my take on the theory issues you raised - firstly
because I wrote the exam in question and also because I wrote the original
reply to you early this year when you first raised this issue.

Data Structures:
The data structures theory that we spoke about late last year is tricky -
simply because, as you have pointed out, there are no 'mandated' data
structures.  I did put a question on queues in my exam and in another that I
wrote for VITTA, I think I mentioned stacks.  The study design does not
require us to go into a great deal of depth in terms of data structures -
and I covered: 1D and 2D arrays, records, databases (all in a lot of detail
- and students programmed with these as well) and I also 'touched on'
queues, stacks and linked lists.  In the previous study design, I used to
demonstrate the algorithms for each of these and have students code stack,
queue and linked list simulations (possibly a bit over the top).

This year - I discussed the concepts of queues, stacks and linked lists -
but did not do so in a large amount of detail.  In many ways, these data
structures are used in other ways that came up in the theory for me anyway -
stacks in programming (procedure calls), queues in terms of printer or task
queues and linked lists in relation to sorts.

Technically, what we discussed late last year still stands - the only reason
that I mentioned queues in the practice exam is that I had already mentioned
stacks and queues and their function - which I don't think is unreasonable.
In many ways I have trouble discussing a range of data structures without at
least mentioning queues and stacks.

Wireless standards:
In my teaching of networks - I covered the wireless standards.  Again, the
study design does not mandate particular elements of this, but I would think
that the wireless standards are well and truly 'in'.  The networking theory
presentation that I created and posted to the list - would probably be a
good measuring stick in terms of what content is covered in this topic
(excluding mesh network topologies - which are definitely not in the study
design).

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian Janson,
VITTA President
Director of ICT,
Melbourne High School,
Forrest Hill, South Yarra 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received
in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments, check them for viruses and defects.  Regardless of any loss,
damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our
liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any
representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the
individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education
and Early Childhood Development.