[Year 12 SofDev] choosing a language for 2008

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 10:22:08 EST 2007

VB6 'cos...

1.  I already was familiar with it and did not have time to learn a new
language in 2007
2.  It's free for gov't schools
3.  Lotsa support
4.  It has all the classical programming constructs (except pointers),
making a good jumping-off point to other languages
5.  It's RAD
6.  It's relatively easy to teach (BASIC began as a teaching language)

Next year, however, I'm going to start with the non-GUI aspects such as
loops, IF, arrays, variables.  If kids start with textboxes etc some
never comprehend the concept of code in the background behind the GUI.

Actually, I'm tempted to dust off QuickBASIC 4.5 to force them to learn
classic coding before letting them get near listboxes etc.

Oh.  And why am I not using VB2005 Express?  'Cos we had endless trouble
with .NET permissions and could not get it stable in time for the first
programming outcome.

Mark

Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
> HI every1
>
> as a new teacher of SofDev i am hoping to get some advice about which
> language to use next year
>
> the students have used visual basic this year in Unit 1 and 2
>
> i have basically narrowed it down to a choice between:
>
> visual basic, C++  and J#
>
> what languages do u all use?
>
> i am also hoping people can recommend some good source books for me to
> use to get myself up to scratch also - i have not used C since uni and
> have never used Java
>
> thx
> andrew grimshaw
> colac college