[Year 12 SofDev] Sample SD questions from VCAA

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 9 15:17:02 EST 2007

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel/2007_softwaredev_sample.pdf

MC question 6...

"This software cannot operate by itself but must be activated by a user
– usually the victim. Once active, it may carry out tasks such as
sending out information about the computer, allowing remote access to
the computer, or corrupting files on the hard disk."

What kind of malicious program code is described above?

A. spyware
B. trojan
C. virus
D. worm

I've been dithering about this one and ended up going for B. But...

1. Do many trojans have a file-destroying payload?
2. Would you call a "drive-by downloading" piece of spyware software
that "cannot operate by itself"?
3. Worms do need to be activated by the victim, but is this the same for
  true viruses which attach themselves to executables to propagate
themselves without activation by the user?

Lots of ifs and buts with this question!  There are so many variants of
each type of malicious software that there are bound to be examples of
all 4 which could qualify as the answer.

Unfortunately, the bad guys are rude enough to disregard VCAA's neat
definitions of software categories  :-)

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.