[Year 12 SofDev] FW: Help and adivce 2008 Version 2

WEIR Andrew WEIR at thomascarr.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 1 11:57:24 EST 2007

Good answer
I will join in on next years pd.
Thanks again

-----Original Message-----
From: sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Kevork Krozian
Sent: Thursday, 1 November 2007 11:31 AM
To: Year 12 Software Development Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Year 12 SofDev] FW: Help and adivce 2008 Version 2

Hi Andrew,

   The PD will be repeated early next year if that is any use.
The VITTA session will step through the outline of the install, manage,
and teach using the new server from ground up.
The PD was for 5 workshops where key skills are practiced from install
to teach to program, and assess, but if you have an Ubuntu LAMP server
at home you are well on your way.

As always, happy to support all IT colleagues to make life as easy as
possible, to learn from each other, to explore new possibilities and to
give and take with the convenience of these lists and all other
resources.

One of my other hobbies is to prepare students for work place readiness
in IT through the VET IT and the Cisco programs. To that end I work
actively with industry including the State Schools Technician program,
to see what is needed/expected out there.
I have tried to model learning and assessment as much as possible on
"real" world type problems. Edulists uses PHP and MySQL as the back end.
I run an eCommerce site for a holiday house using similar technology at
www.phillipislandholiday.com.au.

Finally, I don't want any teacher to be stressed out for lack of
resources, ideas or practical solutions. That means ongoing concrete
support is what I wish all to have.
I am over the platitudes, rhetoric, slogans, hand waving and the limited
"hey try XYZ" when it comes to guiding and supporting teachers.

If any teachers need any help I am here. If I can't help I'll find
someone who can. If I can't find someone who can help I'll set up a
mailing list and try to populate it asap !!!

Keep well

Kevork

>>> "WEIR Andrew" <WEIR at thomascarr.vic.edu.au> 1/11/2007 9:08 am >>>
Kevork
Thanks for this
Unfortunately I got the curve ball yesterday so missed your PD's I will
follow your advice and get the server installed ASAP. I may do it at
home as well so I can use it over the holidays I have a ubuntu LAMP
server install at home.

I am going to try to change my preferences for the vitta conference to
get into the session.
Otherwise I might just that goggling and playing with it.

On a side note Thanks to the list for this help. I think this whole
edulist resource is one of the greatest resources we have.

Regards
Andrew