[Opensource] Alternatives to "big-name" office software.

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:36:24 EST 2009

Cross posting from eChalk list

Regards Roland

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Price, Ken <ken.price at education.tas.gov.au>
Date: 2009/5/27
Subject: [echalk] Alternatives to "big-name" office software.
To: echalk email list <echalk at edna.edu.au>

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=52336

Interesting article about how the District of Columbia (as in, Washington
DC) cut a $4,000,000 dollar software budget to 1/10 of that figure by
replacing the productivity software collection (in this case Microsoft
Office) with Google Apps, which includes e-mail (Gmail), calendar, documents
& spreadsheets, wikis (Google Sites) and instant messaging

"When employees go home, they have access to more technology at home than
they do at work," he says. "I said 'wait a minute, people have this access
at home, how can I bring it to the government? It made a compelling reason
for us to move that direction."

The decision wasn't solely for money-saving reasons, but also to reduce
risks of data loss, on the basis that Google's server farms are far more
extensive and geographically dispersed than any government servers.

The nearest I've seen to this in school education is NSW's outsourcing of
education email to Google, but there will probably be more examples before
too long...

More info

http://bink.nu/news/washington-dc-drops-microsoft-for-google.aspx

http://www.cio.com/article/450636/How_Vivek_Kundra_Fought_Government_Waste_One_Google_App_At_a_Time_

http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2008/10/washington-dc-latest-to-drop-microsoft-for-web-apps.ars

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_apps_microsoft_dc.php

This information came from a recent Gartner Group session - these are well
worth attending if you get a chance.

ken

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you should
delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender. No liability is accepted
for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.

---
You are currently subscribed to echalk as: rgesthuizen at gmail.com.
leave-1500603-432880.d60bd8c9f5fd868c4e8bab3e09bbd8af at edna.edu.au.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au