[Opensource] Miro

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:31:37 EST 2008

Miro is a free, open source Internet TV and video player that can
automatically download videos from RSS-based channels. It was a hit with our
new MacBook users when we added it to our new image (There are Linux and
Windows versions too). Whilst travelling the States last month, I used it to
watch some cool National Geographic, NASA and Discovery video feeds that I
had subscribed to.

Miro can be used to watch TV shows, YouTube and other video searches via the
Internet. These can then be easily played back and later shared with your
students or staff at school. So far it has played just about any video
format file that I have thrown at it.
     http://www.getmiro.com

This week I used it to record and play back a NASA environmental news clip,
a science demonstration, a Python programming / Moodle tutorial, and a
particular ABC Quantum episode I was trying to nail down. All of these
vodcasts were freely published online then added to a searchable library on
my computer. It will even scan your school network drives for video files.
In our case, any files recorded on the digital media centre in our library
by our librarian or shared by other staff. Here is a life hacker review of
this software.
     http://lifehacker.com/400157/miro-is-your-tivo-for-internet-video

Very slick.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au