[Opensource] Open Source replacement for Frontpage

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Fri Oct 17 10:34:53 EST 2008

Hi all,

<quote who="Stephen Bloomer">

> Our students are currently using MS FrontPage for web design in many
> areas.  We would like to go away from this and go to something open source
> so the kids can continue work at home (and to have one less MS product)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a product that is student and teacher
> friendly?

I always strongly recommend schools show kids some decent content management
systems (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress) as they are more useful to creating
websites than manual hacking (although all kids should play with basic HTML
:) I'd also suggest some of the awesome Firefox HTML devel plugins to show
them how to modify and play with CSS for something more gritty.

Frontpage and Dreamweaver are fine for pretty (although dirty-coded) static
webpages, but that isn't really showing them anything particularly useful
for modern websites. Get them into AJAX, JScript, wordpress with the sandbox
theme, making websites with wikis. So many tools are available :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
OLPC Australia                                           http://olpc.org.au/
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

    "If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
                   show you how it's done." - Scott Adams