[Opensource] K12 Open Minds Conference

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Oct 2 13:04:58 EST 2008

Hi All,

Just got back from the US where I attended the K12 Open Minds Conference
for FOSS in K-12 schools. http://www.k12openminds.org/

It was an amazing experience. So exciting to share time and ideas with
like minds. The baseline was Free and Open Source Software so no need to
argue about its merits or why it matters so much to education.

This conference has to go on the watch list for 2009.
Call for papers should open in January!

I was one of 5 keynote speakers and am humbled by the calibre of the
other speakers... Feeling very proud to be outclassed by company such as
this: http://www.k12openminds.org/keynotes

 Dr David Thornburg - http://www.tcpd.org/
 & http://www.edtechnot.com/notthornburg.html

 Alex Inman - http://linuxlaptops.blogspot.com/
 & http://www.educollaborators.com/

 Chris Lehman - http://www.practicaltheory.org/serendipity/
 & http://www.scienceleadership.org/drupaled/

 Dr Brad Wheeler - http://bwheeler.ovpit.iu.edu/
 & http://coppola.rsmart.com/node/41

My slides are here: http://www.cc.com.au/K12openminds
(includes a link to the video stream. The audio is bad, and the camera
just captured the slides - so not hugely useful - but it might give a
bit more content than the slides alone.)

Lucie, a fellow attendee, wrote this blog post & gives a great summary
of the conference:
http://www.infinitethinking.org/2008/09/open-minds-momentum.html

cheers
Donna