[Opensource] Changing software purchase models

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Fri May 9 09:44:14 EST 2008

Hi Roland,

<quote who="Roland Gesthuizen">

> PS: I will admit to being weary of correcting those who state that the
> software provided on their teacher laptops is free, pointing out that the
> generosity of the Australian tax payers has paid for this software. It is
> about as 'free' as the classroom lighting / heating and Internet bandwidth
> that they so generously consume and I pay for (sigh) ..

I often point to Kathryn Moyle's excellent work on calculating the cost of
Microsoft products to the education sector and ask the person whether they
wouldn't prefer working toilets, air conditioning or sports equipment than
software that could otherwise be procured for a far lesser cost.

http://ask-oss.mq.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=61

^--- see references down the bottom. The page is currently out of date but it
is still a really useful website. I was the research coordinator :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
OLPC Australia                                           http://olpc.org.au/
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

   "Is kneeling a criteria for talking to you?" - Philip Lindsay to Jeff