[Opensource] Running windows applications seamlessly inside Linux

Jack Matthews jack_m_matthews at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 22:25:20 EST 2008

OK, cheers

I might check out what VMware currently supports and possibly take the "Beer" option.

-jack

> Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:45:59 +1000
> From: askvictor at gmail.com
> To: opensource at edulists.com.au
> Subject: Re: [Opensource] Running windows applications seamlessly inside Linux
>
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Jack Matthews
> <jack_m_matthews at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  This is really cool.  I have some questions about this which proved a
> > problem last time I tried this sort of stuff. If anyone could answer it
> > would be appreciated.  I have no current install of Linux but will consider
> > it if this functionality is available.
> >
> > 1.  Can you use your existing WIN XP partition as the virtual drive instead
> > of creating a virtual disk?
>
> Not directly with virtualbox. I think you could convert a partition to
> an image, but I don't think you can run straight off a partition. I
> think VMWare (and probably others) do let you do this, though.
>
> > 2.  Will drivers work properly through the virtual machine (I have no Linux
> > drivers for some of my hardware)?
>
> I'm pretty sure that if the device isn't working under linux, it won't
> work through a linux-hosted VM.
>
> > 3.  Will you be able to play 3D games will full video card support?
>
> Not with VirtualBox. I think VMWare's product supports this (but
> that's not free as in speech, though it is free as in beer).

Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT