[Opensource] Re: [elearning] IWB's in secondary schools

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 22:06:00 EST 2008

Somebody mentioned something about voting by touching an IWB board so
I tossed my departing senior class a traditional set of coloured
white-board markers and asked them to scribble a 'vote' on the board
as they left the room. (typical XY plot that ranks boring <--->
interesting vs learned heaps <----> nothing). I then photographed the
result to reflect and perhaps later discuss. They had fun and I got
all my markers back. I enjoy using low tech touches like this, blue
tooth devices, sticky pads and hand puppets.

Did make me think as they giggled over the new feedback option that
any IWB solution needs to get over the initial positive benefit that
comes from the Hawthorne effect. Measuring a 'real' improvement is
going to be hard after spending all that money, is anybody going to be
brave enough to claim only an incremental benefit?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect

Cameron has raised an important point about vendor lock-in with IWB
hardware, IWB software and the lessons that you might record (posted
to the Edulist OpenSource mailing list). Not only is this bad , in
some counties it can be quite illegal. This wiki page provides a good
summary of the practice with some more familiar examples.
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in

Open, public standards and FLOSS are the best solution to this lock-in problem.

Regards Roland