[Opensource] SAGE Maths and Python programming

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:42:24 EST 2008

Speaking of programming with Python ..  here is a cool OpenSource, cross
platform application mentioned on the eChalk list by a University of
Washington mathematician to replace the Maths software used in education and
research with a free, open-source version. Around than 100 mathematicians
around the world are collaborating to develop the tool.

"SAGE for studying a huge range of mathematics, including algebra, calculus,
elementary to very advanced number theory, cryptography, numerical
computation, commutative algebra, group theory, combinatorics, graph theory,
and exact linear algebra."

http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459
http://www.sagemath.org/

>From what I can see on this slideshow, students write Python scripted
programs with SAGE that combine serious mathematics with anything else and
view the output with a Firefox web browser.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sagescreenshots/sets/72157603532209437/

We have Python and Firefox on our computer image deployed at school, I must
check out the value of SAGE for our maths staff. Reminds me of learning
Fortran as a biochemist. Fun days with real science, huge computers and lots
of punched cards. :-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au