[Opensource] Using Ubuntu in School

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Sep 4 09:29:51 EST 2007

Bravo Adam! Great work!
Having this will certainly reduce the amount of investigation and
playing required when getting Ubuntu up and running in schools.
I reckon the other thing that I had to keep looking up often after each
re-install was the config of the apt.conf file so that it would update
through the school proxy server.
Acquire::http::proxy "http://username:password@proxyIP:port";
seems to work for me. There were some very convoluted conf files out
there, but this simple one works.
My issues at the moment:
1) Getting the edupass to connect automatically. At the moment I have to
manually select edupass from the nm applet to bring up the keychain.
2) There is a significant amount of lag time when writing on our
smartboards. I write and then their is about a 1.5-2 second delay before
the writing appears
3) Data projectors! AUUGHHHH.  Can't get videos to appear on the data
projector although I could in the past. I have one data projector that
is identical to all the others that won't accept the screen resolution
of the laptop - it only runs at 800x600 when all the others are quite
happy at 1024x768. Makes me think it's the DP but I can't find any
setting that might change it.
On the plus side, Markbook works wonderfully in a Innotek Virtual Box.
I mucked around with SUSE for a while, we purchased 10.1, but found the
wireless was severely lacking - having to use ndiswrappers and the like.
Yuck. We have no Novell to integrate but I can certainly see where SUSE
would come into its own there. I have found Ubuntu to be the easiest
distro so far, but the great thing about linux is you can choose one
that best suits your needs.
Cheers
Cameron