[Opensource] BBC Article - Schools warned off Microsoft

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:24:23 EST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 1:24 AM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Schools can easily run both Office2007 and StarOffice on the same computer.
> No big deal, just let MS Office handle MS Document .DOC file extensions and
> OpenOffice the open document .ODT type extensions. Each to his own. .. we
> even tweak the start menu shortcuts on our base image so that the OpenSource
> desktop application Scribus sits in the same folder as OpenOffice, rather
> like how we put Publisher in with MS Office.
>
> We have been doing this for years without a hickup. The resources consumed
> by this is minimal and it was dead wasy to setup. It will not make your
> school milk go off, and it certainly will not break your computer!

The only thing to be careful with here is to disable the 'fast-start'
feature on slower machines. MS Office does this too (I think), and it
can be disabled - basically it pre-loads a big part of office when the
computer boots, to make starting the actual app faster. Nice if you
have a fast machine. Nasty if you haven't.

vik