[Opensource] chasing the latest and greatest

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:00:56 EST 2007

I recall watching a fascinating 1 hour Google Video
presentation<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6127548813950043200&q=paradox+of+choice>last
year where Barry Schwartz briefly
described a "paradox of choice" that contributes to poor decisions. When is
good enough, fair enough? Does doubling the software features, processor
speed or even software cost equate to twice the learning? At what point
should schools stop chasing the latest and greatest?

Good to see the a Department of Education that is at least taking things one
step at a time and considering the reasons for upgrades. I wonder if they
might now also consider why every student needs to have the latest and
greatest version of Office 2007 on their desktop when there are some good
alternatives around or even a hybrid mix that might suit their needs?

Money saved could then go back into the school system, new hardware or
teacher training; an investment that is directly returned to the local
community.

Regards Roland