[Opensource] FOSS-VELS Matrix

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Mon Jun 18 14:17:43 EST 2007

Hi People,

I started this project - FOSS VELS Matrix
with support from Open Source Victoria
http://openeducation.org.au/wiki/index.php/FOSS-VELS-OSV

I've found I don't have as much time to work on it anymore, so am
wondering if you might all pitch in to get it to a more finished state
so that we can promote it at the education show? (Aug 14-15)

The idea is to map Free and Open source software against
the Victorian Essential Learning Standards.

There are 3 elements to the project.

1: VELS (http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/)
Which organises curriculum into 3 interwoven strands
see: http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/images/content/velscurricplan.gif

2: FOSS software
You know - all the usual suspects...
 eg: TheOpenCD
 Edubuntu, Skolelinux, http://www.schooltool.org/

3: The FOSS for schools catalogue
http://www.osv.org.au/index.cgi?tid=155
Which Bryant Patten is in the process of renovating.

The idea was to map each of the 16 learning domains in VELS to relevant
FOSSware with examples of how FOSS could be used in the classroom.

This page: http://openeducation.org.au/wiki/index.php/LOTE
is probably the best example.
It follows a template:

1 The Learning Domain
  paraphrased from the VELS site
2 Software
  List of suitable software - short description - link to software page.
3 Examples
  Links to stuff online - learning materials, stories, articles
describing use of that software for that learning domain.
4 References
  Link back to the VELS site, and relevant teacher and subject
associations.
5 FOSS-VELS - navigation back to the start, and the catalog.

and each application has it's own page that follows a template too:

1 Features
2 Frequently Asked Questions
3 Online Support Forums
4 Documentation
5 Mailing Lists
6 Screenshot
7 Links and Examples

I'm in the process of auditing what I've done - because it's been a
while for some of it...  But I could really do with some help to get
this all together...

Ideally I want to draw it together as a companion document to the
catalog for schools. The basic matrix should apply across jurisdictions,
and be useful in other parts of the world.

Also - I probably need to look at hosting it elsewhere.
Openeducation.org.au is being targetted by wiki-spammers

- Donna

--
donna benjamin - executive director
http://www.creativecontingencies.com/