[Opensource] another convert

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:52:55 EST 2007

I read an interesting essay describing why linux is not actually in
the mainstream - it is because microsoft windows and office are
actually free. Either due to piracy or OEM installs. Piracy helps
Microsoft keep the monopoly - they make plenty from businesses which
have to pay for it anyway, and from OEMs who are forced into
installing it anyway, but for the others, there is usually a geek
around to help them install a pirated copy. If someone was given the
option of paying $200 for something they are completely familiar with,
or getting something for free which is close enough most of the time,
I suspect there would be a lot more people going down for the latter
option.

vik