[Offtopic] Fwd: Learning to lower costs and carbon emissions with ICT

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 16 20:19:16 EST 2009

> From:   Tom Worthington <Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au>
> Date:   Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:24:40 +1100
> Subject:  Learning to lower costs and carbon emissions with ICT

Here is the outline of my presentation on
"<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/green_ict_education/>Learning
to lower costs and carbon emissions with ICT" for the
<http://www.computersoff.org/display.asp?id=142>Computers Off
Australia - Green IT breakfast briefing, Canberra, 20 January 2009
<http://www.computersoff.org/display.asp?id=142>. All are welcome for
the event and you get a free breakfast. :-)

     First global Green ICT Course

         * 13 Week E-learning course
         * Sponsored by the Australian Computer Society
         * Part of the Computer Professional Education Program (first
           globally accredited.)
         * Masters-level with university articulation

     Green ICT Students learn how to:

         * Estimate the carbon footprint of the ICT operations of an
           organisation,
         * Assess ways to reduce the carbon footprint of an
           organisation, by changes to polices for procurement of ICT,
           changes to the ICT operations and revising business processes.

     Business ICT Competencies

         * Strategy & planning
               o Technical strategy and planning
               o Business/IS strategy and planning
         * Procurement & management support
               o Supply management
                     + Procurement
               o Quality management
                     + Compliance audit

     Learning by Doing

     Two areas of assessment:

        1. Assignments
              1. Write a report on the carbon footprint of the ICT
                 operations of your organisation
              2. Write a report identify ways to reduce the carbon
                 footprint of your organisation
        2. Contributions to the discussion forums

     Some Green ICT Topics

        1. Understanding climate science
        2. The Global ICT Footprint
        3. Enabling ICT: Dematerialisation, smart motor systems,
           logistics, buildings and grids
        4. Energy saving - Data Centres and Client Equipment
        5. Procurement
        6. Compliance audit

     Online References Used

        1. The Engineering Sustainable Solutions Program, Sustainable
           IT Lecture Series, Natural Edge Project, 2008
        2. The Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool
           (EPEAT), Green Electronics Council. GEC 2006.
        3. Energy Star Program, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
           and the U.S. Department of Energy, 2007
        4. The Personal Computer and Monitors Energy Efficiency
Strategy, Tom Worthington, Report and Recommended Plan of Action,
prepared for the Department of Environment, Heritage and the Arts,
Version 1.0, 23 September 2008.

     More Information

         * ACS Green ICT Course
         * Green ICT Course Content
         * ACS Policy Statement on Green ICT, 16 August 2007
         * Audit of Carbon Emissions resulting from ICT usage by
           Australian Business, ACS, 16 August 2007
         * ACS Green ICT Group
         * Tom Worthington
         * This document is available at:

http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/green_ict_education/

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University

--
Cheers people
Stephen Loosley