[Moodle] Moodle 2.0 Release

Adam Barbary home at adambarbary.com
Tue Sep 8 22:25:02 EST 2009

Just some quick notes I jotted down from Martin at the Moodleposium. I
apologise in advance for any errors/omissions.

Moodle2.0 Upgrade.

Requirements
Basic upgrading
Third party modules
Functionality tests
Performance tests
Other
Helping

1. Requirements
Php 5.2.8
Oracle 10
Linux/Unix, Windows is lacking good php support.

2. Test site first
     Back up db and web root
     Copy to new machine with Moodle 2.0 code
     Watch upgrade messages carefully
     Check defaults for all new settings

Watch hacks that move files, these will all fail as the file structure
and handling will be changed. There is version tracking or files, no
replication of data. Files will no longer have names, just a hash of
the content. The name, and file type is stored in the DB, the bits are
on the system disk.

Roles now includes access to files. If you don't have permission for a
file, you can't access it. (previously if you knew the resource URL,
you could)

Database reconstruction will also take time, expect several hours.
New features will be disabled, but defaults should be checked.

BAD - Most of the 3rd party modules will break
GOOD - Most of them will get fixed a lot

3. Third party plugins
The following areas have been re-written.

Database API - How Moodle talks to the DB, no slashes, magic quotes.
ADODB, now purely native drivers. Performance increase over current
version.

File API -  How files are read and written, new interface for
navigating file tree. Any hack, block etc. that handles files, will
break.

Rendering API - How the data is displayed to the screen. Themes can
now override and change the display properties of Moodle. Designers
can now manipulate all areas for integration. New blocks etc, will
need re-writing.

4. Functionality Testing
Check that view and functionality of used resources and modules are
behaving as expected. Watch during beta phase. Check the tracker, add
issues to function tracker.

5. Performance Tests
Tweaking settings of php, Moodle and the DB and server, to make sure
that it handles heavy loads. Disable unused settings.

6. Other bits to look at.
Database sessions. Cookie file moved from server root to DB

7. Helping Moodle.
Help during the beta phase. Beta in December, as many testers as
possible required to help expedite a full release.

Cheers,

Adam