[Moodle] setting up SMTP stuff

Stephen Bloomer sbloomer at stpeters.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 13 23:18:28 EST 2009

When we first set up Moodle, we used email based self registration.  It worked, but not well.  There where two main problems.  1, People found the registration process hard (yes it is not hard, but they would not read the prompts) and 2. It means that there is now another password for people to remember.

In Dec 08/Jan 09 we deleted all accounts and switched over to LDAP authentication where people use the same password as they would to access the computers or the email system.  If you have any chance at all, this is the way I would suggest you go, as long term it is the easiest to manage.  If set up properly, there is no need for users to add any information as name, email address and all other details can be automatically imported form your LDAP server.

Stephen Bloomer
sbloomer at stpeters.vic.edu.au
Network Manager
St. Peter's College