[Moodle] LAMS on Ubuntu

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 15:57:09 EST 2008

Greetings fellow earthlings;

I have finally had some success setting up LAMS2 on an Ubuntu server.
There are traps and I thought I'd share my solutions.

During installation Lams2 asks for a free port:
I use 8080 for CMap Tools so I gave it 8380.
This means you need to complete another port forwarding request from Edunet.

I have disabled name-resolution in my database to speed things up so all
my DB users need access from the localhost IP which is 127.0.0.1. This
is trivial to fix in Moodle (config.php) but harder in Lams2 because it
isn't documented. Using the famous unix recursive "grep" tool I discovered
that in Ubuntu you need to edit the /usr/share/jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/mysql-ds.xml file. (Now there's a catchy title)

I changed "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 and took note of the default database
user and their password.

In MySQL I fixed the permissions of the default Lams db user like so:

grant <permissions> on lams.* to <lamsuser>@127.0.0.1 identified by
<password>;
flush privileges;

Voila! it works! Now to integrate it with Moodle and find out what it
actually does.

Laurie

--
Laurie Savage