[Moodle] Ideal Server Specs for Moodle?

Paul Williamson paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 1 15:57:59 EST 2006

Hi Keith,

We started out with Moodle running on a Celeron 900/1gb sdram/40gb ide,
running RedHat 7.3. This was alright until a class of about 25 people were
clicking all over everything. The server struggled to render the php for
all the requests. I spent quite some time modifying apache settings with
no success. It was a good platform to begin testing on, however not
acceptable for class use as the whole class would be waiting 5 minutes per
click.

We setup a new machine to run moodle. P4 3.0 ghz / 1gb ddr / 2x120gb sata
hdd (not raid). We have no delays at all with 30 people on at once -
havent had a situation where more students have been on at a time yet. The
new server runs Gentoo Linux, which is a little less straight forward to
setup compared with Mandrake/Redhat, however has a similar feature to yum
or apt-get (emerge), which can save a lot of time. Packages are compiled
from source to directly suit your machines architecture.

1-2 GB of RAM I would say is necessary - you could get away with 512.
Processor on the other hand, anything over 2ghz should do the deal (i
would stay away from celerons/semprons) and a fast hdd (anything new).

Here is a page on the Moodle site about hardware
requirements/recommendations:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance

HTH

Paul Williamson
Network Administrator, Huntingtower School
http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au
paulw at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Phone: 03 9831 9463
Mobile: 0433 167 247
Fax: 03 9888 1089

Keith Richardson said:
> Hi Moodlers one and all.
> Information request please...
> We are launching into Moodle
> Our server (a re-cycled old one for initial development prior to classes
> using it) is <<P3, 800MHz, single-processor, 128Mb RAM>>
> What should I be aiming at?
> Will simply upping RAM to, say, 1Gb be sufficient? Or should I invest
> considerably more?
> Ciao, Keith
> Keith Richardson
> Leibler Yavneh College
> Elsternwick Ph (03)9528 4911
> keithcr at fastmail.fm

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or telephone, and destroy the original message.
Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material contained in this e-mail is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.