[Moodle] OT - Help Please - Anti-Virus Software recommendations?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Jul 27 12:13:34 EST 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:59:31AM +1000, Keith Richardson wrote:
> Please forgive cross-posts.
> Hello everyone.
> We have an anti-virus software crisis and I would appreciate any advice
> possible.
> We have been using VET but they are forcing a change on us that is not
> compatible so we need to look elsewhere.
> Here is the QUESTION posed by my technician:
>
> "Anti virus question to those members of the group that have Novell file
> servers with XP workstations.
>  What antivirus solution do you have in place with server based updates?
>  How efficient is this?
>  Does it affect network performance, if not what speed does network run
> at?
>  Any recomendations for a low grade network?

Keith,

Before you make a decision, trial ClamAV and ClamWin.

You can use Clam on many servers as a server-based AV, scanning incoming
mail etc:

 http://www.clamav.net/

You can use Clam Win on all your Windows PCs, including XP:

 http://www.clamwin.com/

 Features:

  - High detection rates for viruses and spyware;
  - Scanning Scheduler;
  - Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
  - Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft
    Windows Explorer;
  - Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments
    automatically.

Clam AV and Clam Win are both free and open source.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)