[Moodle] 3in6 - Request for Article, Please

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 24 22:29:00 EST 2006

Hi George.
Sorry - I live and breathe "3in6" and tend to forget that many others
have not heard about it.
A few years ago I had a dream:
My video production students were driving me crazy. It took them weeks
to write a story, then their film script, then their detailed planning,
then their filming, and finally their editing of the video on computer.
So to end up with a video they had made all themselves took far too much
time. It had lost its spontaniety. Only the kids with the most sticking
power stayed with it to the end. Good ideas became stale and lost. I
felt that there had to be a better way.
One day while flying from Melbourne to Maroochydore on a Virgin flight
an idea emerged, I pencilled it down, and knocked it into shape over the
duration of the flight and by the time we had landed I came up with the
idea of giving my kids one day at school (but out of class - a sort of
excursion) for about 6 hours to completely create from start to finish a
video that would last for just 3 minutes (or less). And so "3in6" was
born.
A week later I shared the idea with a few other teachers who thought it
sounded possible, VITTA agreed to sponsor it for school students across
the state, I wrote a website to launch and manage it, and so it
happened. That was three years ago. This is its third year. It is
successful.
The website is at http://3in6.openlab.net.au. Take a look. You will see
what it is all about.
Thanks for asking George.
Keith.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:18:01 +0000, "george kennedy"
<george_kennedy at hotmail.com> said:
> OK Keith. I give in!  What's this 3in6 business?
> George Kennedy
>

> > From: keithcr at fastmail.fm> To: is at edulists.com.au; vet-mm at edulists.com.au; tech at edulists.com.au; yr7-10it at edulists.com.au; ipm at edulists.com.au; moodle at edulists.com.au; vce_media at atomvic.org> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:52:55 +1000> CC: > Subject: [Moodle] 3in6 - Request for Article, Please> > Hello everyone.> > We would like to put together, for 3in6, a few real-life stories from a> teacher's perspective along the following lines:> > "Talking about what sort of learning curve teachers had to go on with> technology and their experiences of working with/watching kids produce> films.> Possibly an informative and/or hair-raising/inspirational story to> tell."> > We feel that these stories may help teachers identify with the process,> and what they might expect to happen if they take the plunge themselves.> > Please send me your story by direct email to 3in6 at openlab.net.au either> within the email or as a Word attachment.> > Many thanks, Keith.> VITTA 3in6-2006 Coordinator> > Keith Richardson> Leibler Yavneh College> Elsternwick Ph (03)9528 4911> keithcr at fastmail.fm> > _______________________________________________> http://www.edulists.com.au - FAQ, resources, subscribe, unsubscribe> Moodle Mailing List kindly supported by> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au - Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association Inc
Keith Richardson
Leibler Yavneh College