[Year 12 IT Apps] SACS and BYOD

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Mar 17 16:45:36 EST 2015

On 17 March 2015 at 16:10, Heike Demarteau <heike_23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt *every* student would get 100% whichever method you use.

Hi, Heike

Yes. It would (probably) be impossible for everyone in a class to get an
end-of-year VCAA score of 100%.

It *would, *however be possible (but certainly undesirable) for every
student in a class to get 100% on an outcome if the task were so simple and
basic that *everyone* could get full marks and you could not tell the best
student from the worst.

Imagine a final-year medicine exam that only required the best and weakest
students to successfully apply a Band-aid to get 100%.

I'm sure that if all members of a class *did* ever get full marks on an
outcome, VCAA would be very *very* keen to audit that teacher's task and
assessment criteria - unless perhaps the class had only a few students.

In any case, as I understand it, if horrible indiscriminate outcomes were
used, VCAA's statistical workings would rapidly discount the value of the
outcomes' marks and use the November exam to sort the kids out into a
realistic order. When in doubt, the exam mark always wins.

My 2.18 cents worth (adjusted to current exchange rates and wind speed)

Cheers

Mark

> > From: asullivan at tps.vic.edu.au
> > To: itapps at edulists.com.au
> > Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 01:44:00 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] SACS and BYOD
> >
> > My two cents worth
> >
> > Having SAC's that run over multi periods is pretty unique to VCE IT
> >
> > The way you run and manage your VCE IT SAC's is really up to you
> >
> > Every school probably has a different approach
> >
> > Some schools allow notes, textbooks, network and internet access. Others
> run their SAC's a lot more like a test or an exam with no notes or
> assistance
> >
> > Remember the purpose of an assessment task is discriminate between your
> top student down to your bottom (for lack of a better word) student . In
> other words, rank your students in order of their understanding of the
> content for each outcome
> >
> > If you give a task that allows this discrimination or ranking to occur
> (with notes and network and internet access) then that is no problem
> >
> > But if you allow notes, etc. and every students gets 100% then it
> defeats the purpose of assessment task. You are not really identifying the
> order of ability in your class
> >
> > My approach and BYOD devices
> >
> > Students here use their own personal laptop for SAC's.
> >
> > I have network access turned off for these periods and collect the files
> from each student on USB at the end of the lesson
> >
> > I'm happy for them during a SAC (and I cannot really stop them) from
> accessing the files on their laptop of the practice tasks we completed
> leading up to the SAC
> >
> > I tell students this before the SAC to encourage them to complete all
> the practice tasks
> >
> > But as mentioned earlier this is my method that works for me and each
> school needs a method that works for them
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> > Anthony Sullivan
> > Head of Information Technology | Commerce Faculty
> > 20 Wooralla Drive, Mt. Eliza, Vic, 3930
> > T: 03 9788 7796| F: 03 9787 7646 |asullivan at tps.vic.edu.au |
> www.tps.vic.edu.au

*Instructions on an American Airlines packet of nuts: 'Open packet, eat
nuts.'*

Mark Kelly
mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com