[Year 12 IT Apps] Online Web-Authoring Tools

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Mar 5 14:42:02 EST 2015

Hi, trend-setters.

Yes, VCAA has been tactically mute on the issue of using CMS, which has
raised its hairy head several times in recent years.

While drag/drop site creation and CMS are the way of the future (golly -
I'd say in 2015 it is the way of the *present*), VCAA's silence on the
matter seems to suggest that good old fashioned static HTML + CSS is what
they're comfortable with, and what they're expecting students to use in
outcomes.

The VCAA list of required web functions has not changed in 5 or more years,
AFAIK - which I feel is somewhat dilatory and indecisive, considering the
breakneck speed at which the technologies are developing.
I thought the new study design might be the ideal opportunity for dear Aunt
Victoria (aka VCAA) to slings her corsets into the air and declare a fresh
start, but I can also see her continued desire to examine basic IT
concepts, such as style sheets and hand-made design using fundamental
design principles rather than choosing pre-packaged template number 6
provided by Wordpress or Joomla.

The time will come when the current required software functions will become
quaint, historical memories, just as students would've been expected to
write raw HTML and Javascript as a core skill requirement ten year ago.

CMS is coming, and soon it will be all students will know about webpage
creation.
And it will be all they will *need* to know, since more primitive skills
like creating HTML in a text editor will become absurdly pointless, like
knowledge of slide rules and logarithmic tables is now.

But that time has not *quite* arrived just yet. Perhaps in the next study
design?

Cheers

Mark (who still owns a slide rule, but couldn't use it now if his life
depended on it.)

On 5 March 2015 at 12:55, ATKINSON-BUCK, Damien <
Damien.ATKINSON-BUCK at ivanhoe.com.au> wrote:

>  Hi Michael,
>
> My 2 cents worth, I would suggest no. Looking at the required software
> functions that students are supposed to know here
> <http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/correspondence/bulletins/2010/July/vce_study.aspx#H3N10050>.
>

> I haven’t used Google sites, but I know with wix, students wouldn’t have
> the capacity to put in their own css page, make their own buttons, or a few
> other requirements.
>
> I could be wrong (apparently I have been once before J) but I’d stick
> with a pure website editor like Dreamweaver in one of its variants.
>
> Cheers
>
> Damien
>

> *Damien* *Atkinson-Buck*
> Head of Learning Area: Technology/Arts