[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Interesting, but not really relevant to any KK

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:46:09 EST 2014

Yes, a similar criticism was levelled at "Young People These Days" for at
least the last 2000 years.

*"For this invention *[writing]* will produce forgetfulness in the minds of
those who learn to use it, because they will not practice their memory.
Their trust in writing, produced by external characters which are no part
of themselves, will discourage the use of their own memory within them. You
have invented an elixir not of memory, but of reminding; and you offer your
pupils the appearance of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many
things without instruction and will therefore seem to know many things,
when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since
they are not wise, but only appear wise."*
Plato's Phaedrus, ~370BC

I recall a high school Principal in the mid-1990s berating a student for
using a calculator. "What are you going to do when you lose it or the
battery goes flat, sonny? You should develop your memory"

A few days later, the same student was with the Principal, who was looking
at his diary trying to find a time to meet with a parent- "What are you
going to do when you lose that diary? You should develop your memory".

kp

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> I have noticed this effect myself, especially with phone numbers.
>
> *Have you heard about the internet rewiring our brains and eating our
> memories? In her new book Mind Change, publicity expert Baroness Professor
> Susan Greenfieldclaims this is what’s happening. She describes the “Google
> Effect” where the internet becomes like an external memory bank. She cites
> research published in 2011 by Betsy Sparrow and colleagues – people who
> saved facts on a computer were less able to recall those facts later as
> compared with people who were told the facts would be erased. If we rely on
> computers in this way, what might become of us? “Imagine that in the future
> people become so used to external access for any form of reference that
> they have not internalized any facts at all,” Greenfield warns.*
>

> http://www.wired.com/2014/11/paper-effect-note-something-youre-likely-forget/

> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com
>
> *I love the sound of people's voices after they stop talking.*

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au