[Year 12 IT Apps] IT Apps Exam, Short Answer, Question 7A

Melanie P pmelanie2009 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:26:57 EST 2014

Hi all

Below is my take on this question - it may be up the garden path :)

But I  am glad it is only a 3 point question as my students were expecting
to split tables!!

I think that this question maybe expecting the kids to split the fullName
field into first name and family name in addition to only storing one piece
of data in the fields interestGroup and contacts - given the 2012
assessment report comments.

I also believe they may only be expecting 5 records to be written down (for
the set of fancy_cat) - since there is no apparent relationship between
interest group and contacts. Interest group could be blank for the final 2
fancy_cat records since it is not the PK and does not need a value. ( ?
) This would enable a search for users who like a particular interest group
to return the correct number of users ( part B)
Of course this would not be an ideal database table as they are only asking
for 1NF.

I will also be eager to read other opinions on this question.

Regards,

Melanie (PSC)

On Friday, November 7, 2014, Vear, Gary D <vear.gary.d at edumail.vic.gov.au

--