[Year 12 IT Apps] Fwd: Annual vceit.com browser statistics

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Nov 6 19:37:35 EST 2014

*OFFTOPIC*

*Warning: this post may contain traces of old man ramblings.*

For those of you who like this sort of thing, here are the annual cPanel
stats for my vceit.com domain in 2014.
Remember 2014? We were six-packed, independent, young, proud, and free to
declare that we really didn't like memes of any variety.

Except cats. We really liked the cats. Jumping into boxes and...

(cough)

Obviously this post features the Great Extra Free Bonus Taste of *Irrelevant
Old Man Ranting* - at *no* extra expense! Please enjoy. Tell your friends.

*Reported operating systems..*.

*Windows*25,90670.3 %
*Macintosh*8,17722.2 %
*Linux*1,8134.9 %
Unknown8532.3 %
Java Mobile <http://mobile.java.com/>390.1 %

Windows may be ailing and ageing, but it still has 3 times as many users as
Mac.

Looking at vceit.com's stats for links from external pages, I wonder why '
pornboobsy.com' appears so high in the list. I must be missing something....
But then, admit it. Doesn't normalisation theory really turn us *all* on -
just a *little* bit?
You know... Those *tables*. Those *keys*. Those *one-to-many relationships*.
Ooooh.

(cough)

Other stats:

The most commonly downloaded theory slideshow file was the normalisation
example
<http://vceit.nylon.net/slideshows/database-normalisation-example.ppt> (but
I plan to improve that slideshow soon. Stay tuned*.)

I'm pretty sure that 10% of ITA students understand normalisation, and
maybe 25% of teachers do.

So (VCAA thinks), "*Why don't we make the end of year exam weigh
normalisation knowledge at - say - 15% of the year's mark?  *
*If we keep examining this heavily, surely students will get better at it?*"

Why not?
I bet if I whipped my cat hard enough, he could perform calculus.

(cough)

The most commonly visited page was the ITA summary
<http://vceit.nylon.net/p/00-ITA-summary2011.htm>.

The browsers used were: (ignore column 2 which refers to 'Grabber'  -
whomever she is):

*Google Chrome*No19,74553.6 %*Firefox*No5,59615.2 %*Safari*No5,23214.2 %
MozillaNo2,3386.3 %*MS Internet Explorer*No2,3286.3 %*Opera*No5161.4 %Android
browser (PDA/Phone browser)No3831 %Unknown?3520.9 %IPhone (PDA/Phone
browser)No1670.4 %Nokia Browser (PDA/Phone browser)No890.2 %

Thank Dog - Internet Explorer is finally in the toilet.
But isn't Microsoft and Bing so *cute* trying to be relevant?  Awwwww.
You're tempted to scooch them on their furry cheeks - and then walk away to
let them die.

Must admit though...
On a brand-new Windows install, IE is the *best* browser for downloading
Chrome or Firefox.

---

* "Stay tuned" - I've realised that this is is a really antique reference
to the days when people actually tuned analogue devices (radio, TV) to a
frequency to receive broadcast signals.
"Tuning" means nothing to digital whippersnappers like you.

<rockingchair>
  I remember clipping wire to the metal guttering as an antenna for my
crystal radio so I could listen to amplitude modulation (AM) radio signals
in bed...
  even if the wire had to go through an open window and let the moths in.
  And I only had DDT spray to kill those moths.
  Gosh, I miss all of my siblings.
</rockingchair>

Wikipedia says "Cat's whisker detectors are obsolete and are now only used
in antique or antique-reproduction radios, and for educational purposes."

I hope Wikipedia gets fat and starts losing its hair.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*I love the sound of people's voices after they stop talking.*

I, Mark Kelly, am entirely responsible for the offensive verbiage I spew
forth.
Have I offended anyone with this post?  I would not be surprised.
If offended, please whinge to me at the email address above.
Please leave poor Kevork alone.  It is not his fault.