[Year 12 IT Apps] First Normal Form

Savage, John L savage.john.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 5 10:32:40 EST 2014

If they  have broken their data into “atomic” fields and have to duplicate an entire row to just add one or two additional pieces of data then it’s 1NF!

0NF
Smith, Sally

043123456

French, English

Epilepsy

Jones, Alan

043112345

Greek, Architecture

Asthma

1NF
Smith

Sally

043123456

French

Epilepsy

Smith

Sally

043123456

English

Epilepsy

Jones

Alan

043112345

Greek

Asthma

Jones

Alan

043112345

Architecture

Asthma

And if Alan and Sally each had multiple ailments the number of rows for these two students would rapidly increase in 1NF.

Laurie Savage
http://accelerus.pvgc.vic.edu.au