[Year 12 IT Apps] Swinburne Cyber Security Club (SCSC) in CSAW Hacking Competition this Weekend

Li Sim Mueller-Loh lloh at swin.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 15:58:33 EST 2013

Dear SCSC members and interested parties,

This weekend the SCSC are competing in CSAW 2013 qualifying round.

This is a 72-hour on-line hacking competition for entry-level "undergraduate students who are trying to break into security". The great thing about this competition is that it is not restricted to university students. Anyone can compete. School kids, professionals, post-grads, anybody.

Being a qualifying round, there are no prizes and only teams from the US and Canada can move on to the finals. Hence, there is no pressure, no rules (not many anyway) and no invigilation for us.

The SCSC have registered some teams and are welcoming interested parties to come along this weekend and try some hacks.

Venue: Swinburne University of Technology, ATC Building, Room ATC009 (basement of the ATC building)

Click here<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/campuses/hawthorn/documents/hawthorn.pdf> for the Hawthorn Campus map (ATC is in E6).

If you're interested, the fun starts at 8am on Friday and continues until Sunday night. There is no requirement to stay for the entire 72 hours so you can observe, talk to club members, try to break in through a web page, cheer others and then go home a get a good night's sleep.

If you have a computer already set up for this sort of thing (e.g. running Backtrack), bring it and plug in. We also have computers in the lab, but access will be restricted on these. Contact James Hamlyn Harris<mailto:jhamlynharris at swin.edu.au> for more details or to express your interest. It will help if we have an idea of numbers.

Like most SCSC activities, we have no budget, so we won't be feeding you food; just ideas. See you there.

Ms. Li Sim Mueller-Loh | ICT Outreach and Marketing Coordinator
Faculty of Information & Communication Technologies (H30)
Swinburne University of Technology
John Street, Hawthorn
3122 VIC, Australia
Phone: +61 3 9214 8768 | Fax: +61 3 9214 5320 | www.swin.edu.au/ict<http://www.swin.edu.au/ict>