[Year 12 IT Apps] U4O2 - Maybe the cloud isn't so great...

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Aug 16 15:33:02 EST 2013

I've tried cloud backups from home with Crashplan.

Downloading one's backups from the cloud to restore lost data is a great
idea. Uploading them, however, is a major PITA.
ADSL is, by definition, asymmetrical - so I get on average 1Mbps upload
(max) and 10 Mbps download.

If I need to backup any significant amount of data to the cloud, I cripple
my web browsing for the duration because my upload bandwidth is saturated.
So I have to schedule backups during non-browsing periods... which sort of
ruins the appeal of instant, automatic backups.

So I return to backing up to naked HDDs in a caddy (this sort of
thing<http://www.arrowcomputers.com.au/products-page/external-hdd-caddy/brianology-usb3-sata-hdd-docking-station/>)
where I can be sure my data is safe... at least as far as *any* HDD is
safe...

So I also back the stuff up to 2 NAS devices, and sometimes to DVD...
And to hidden folders on my hosted domains...
And I STILL manage to lose stuff over time.

I'm hanging out for the NBN to pass by so I can finally enjoy decent upload
speeds...

On 16 August 2013 14:30, Mark Scott <msc at luther.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> A bit like 3D TV methinks.****
>
> ** **
>
> A good idea at the time, but now…****
>
> ** **
>
> Mark Scott****
>
> ** **
>
>  Mark Scott
> Daily Administrator
> Luther
> Plymouth Road
> Croydon Hills Victoria 3136
>
> Luther
> Telephone (03) 9724 2000
> Direct Line (03) 9724 2023
> www.luther.vic.edu.au

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

Day 19, I have successfully conditioned my master to smile and write in his
book every time I drool.- Pavlov's Dog