[Year 12 IT Apps] Public Lecture Invitation - Privacy : The trade-offs in the information age

Bianca van Meeuwen bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au
Wed Apr 24 16:42:32 EST 2013

PRIVACY
The trade-offs in the information age

Privacy issues loom large in contemporary public debate. Prominent recent episodes include the British voicemail hacking scandal; the exposure of sensitive customer data by ISPs, health services and credit card companies; Apple's iPhone user tracking; Google's Street View and deceptive Facebook applications.

These are spectacular examples of failures to protect privacy, but on a more mundane level millions of users willingly provide large amounts of personal information to proprietary social media companies on a daily basis. So how much is our privacy worth? And what sort of trade-offs do we make, or should we make, when it comes to sharing personal information?

Please join the Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies and the Faculty of Life and Social Sciences as we present a panel of experts discussing the impact of these issues on society, technology and consumers.

Thursday May 30th
6:00pm - 8:00pm
TD Building, Room 121
Swinburne Hawthorn Campus
John St, Hawthorn

REGISTER

swinburne.edu.au/privacyevent<https://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/events/privacy/index.php?utm_source=edulists-privacy&utm_medium=edulists&utm_content=edulists-privacy&utm_campaign=privacy>

THE CHAIR

Julian Thomas
Director, The Swinburne Institute,
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences,
Swinburne University of Technology

THE PANEL

Megan Richardson

Professor of Law,

Melbourne Law School,

University of Melbourne

Megan will update us on how privacy plays out in the competitive media and the trade-offs and legal issues for the public.

James Hamlyn-Harris

Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies,

Swinburne University of Technology

James will outline the technical requirements surrounding security, management and data extraction.

Stephen Wilson

Managing Director,

Lockstep Group

Stephen will investigate the disconnect between data privacy principles and IT practices & norms.

DOWNLOAD OUR CAMPUS  MAP<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/campuses/hawthorn/documents/hawthorn.pdf>

Bianca van Meeuwen | ICT Outreach and Marketing Coordinator | Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies | Swinburne University of Technology | PO Box 218 John Street | Hawthorn 3122 | e: bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au<mailto:bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au> | p: 9214 8768 | f: 9819 5993 | m: 0416 931 105 | Supporting Schools | www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools>

 [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_156.png] <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=212142299992>  [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_157.png] <http://www.swinburne.edu.au/twitter>   [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_158.png] <http://www.swinburne.edu.au/youtube>  [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_159.png] <http://podcasts.swinburne.edu.au/itunesu/>