[Year 12 IT Apps] Aust Curric

Jolly, Michael D Jolly.Michael.D at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 19 11:08:54 EST 2012

Thanks for the clarification, Paula.

From: itapps-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:itapps-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Christophersen, Paula P
Sent: Monday, 19 March 2012 9:51 AM
To: Year 12 IT Applications Teachers' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] Aust Curric

Dear colleagues

Just a couple of points of clarification regarding the Technologies Shape paper. The VELS domains of ICT and Design, Creativity and Technology, state standards but do not mandate content (suggested content is found in the learning focus). In the Australian Curriculum content and standards are written for Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies from F (foundation or Prep) to year 8. From years 9 - 12 schools can choose either curriculum developed by ACARA or by their state, and school authorities will determine if students are required to do something from the Technologies at years 9 and 10. As is the case with VELS, how school deliver this curriculum is their decision - standalone/integrated etc.

It should also be noted that the curriculum for Digital Technologies is complementary to the learning continuum outlined in the ICT general capability, which has a focus of ICT across the curriculum rather than a more targeted focus on learning about digital technologies and their role in creating digital solutions.

It is anticipated that when the content descriptions are developed that they will not be too detailed and hence restrictive so flexibility within boundaries will exist - and this is basically what happens in the VELS as the standards relate to both content and performance.

As indicated in my previous email, the VCAA will be organising some consultations forums to elicit feedback from teachers - I will let you know of these details as soon as possible. Please take this opportunity to engage in determining the future of this curriculum area.

Regards
Paula

Paula Christophersen
ICT Curriculum Manager