[Year 12 IT Apps] Technical or Non-Technical Constraints

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 6 10:58:29 EST 2012

Hi George

Sure, a limited budget might *cause* a technical constraint but that does
not mean the budget is *in itself* a technical constraint.  If A leads to
B, it does not mean that A=B. By that logic, I could prove that cold winter
nights cause pregnancy.

A technical constraint is one that is actually caused by technology - e.g.
having to be compatible with existing equipment; having to run in a certain
amount of RAM; having to run under a particular OS; having to fit on a
mobile device's screen; low-powered CPU etc). What causes the technical
constraint is pretty irrelevant.

If I were producing a program, for example, and my budget were suddenly
halved it would not change the programming language I was using. It might
affect the scope or deadline of the project, but it need not technically
affect the project.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards
Mark