[Year 12 IT Apps] Rainfall Data

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 16:10:07 EST 2012

Nice one Frank, thanks for sharing this. Am looking forward to trying it
out for Unit 1 later this term :-)

This is where spreadsheets are at their real world, computational data
processing best; large data sets that are begging for number crunching. I
had a similar weather printout that I once rolled out onto the class floor,
asking teams of students to race whilst tallying up a column for a sum,
average, max and min.

Regards Roland

On 2 March 2012 17:02, Russo, Frank R <Russo.Frank.R at edumail.vic.gov.au>wrote:

> ********
>
> Hi Everyone****
>
> ** **
>
> Have been putting together a unit on Rain for Science and got some data
> for February Rainfall 2012 from www.melbournewater.com.au****
>
> Have put it into a spreadsheet so that anyone can use as an activity with
> their IT students especially in Unit 1.****
>
> Interestingly there seems to be some errors in the Data? Frankston North
> (5.8mm) and Somerton (7.8mm) have quite low values compared to the rest of
> the state 40+ mm and some around 150mm.****
>
> I have emailed Melbourne Water to see if they can explain as typographical
> or machine error (gauges).****
>
> There could be a project/outcome in there as they have monthly data going
> back to September 2003. So that you could pick areas close by and study the
> pattern of data over a period of 8 years.****
>
> ** **
>
> Try these links:
> http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water_storages/water_report/rainfall_data.aspand the archive
>
> http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water_storages/water_report/rainfall_archive.asp
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Will let you know of response from Melbourne Water.****
>
> ** **
>
> Frank****
>
> ** **
>
> Frank Russo****
>
> ****Mobile****: 0409022197****
>
> Leading Teacher ~ Timetabler & Daily Organiser
> Staff OH&S Representative
> Teacher:- IT, Multimedia, Maths & Science.
> AEU Branch President
> Consultative & Planning Committee Member****
>
> ****
>
> ****Frankston North**, **Victoria**, **Australia********
>
> ** **

> and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early
> Childhood Development.

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

 <http://globe.gov/about/>  <http://www.ictev.vic.edu.au/>
<http://www.google.com/educators/gta.html> Roland
Gesthuizen - Learning Technologies Coordinator
Keysborough Secondary College <http://www.keysboroughsc.vic.edu.au>, Acacia
Campus

B.App.Sci., M.Ed.(ICT), ACCE Professional Associate, Educator of the year
2010

*"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead*

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College