[Year 12 IT Apps] Copyright and non technical constraints.

Christopher Jansen christopherj at sjc.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 9 12:28:15 EST 2012

I am about to teach Key Knowledge point "non-technical constraints on website solutions, including privacy, copyright and human rights requirements and social online protocols "

I have a question that I could not find a whole lot of information on for Australian law and I think will come up when discussing it in class.
If a user posts copyrighted material on a website that I run, am I liable for this?
My understanding is that no I'm not as long as I take it down when the copyright owner asks. I understand SOPA and PIPA in the US were trying to harden these laws and make me responsible right away.
Also in terms of teaching should I simply discuss

*         what piracy copyright and human rights are

*         and what strategies online communities employ to deal with these constraints?

Any suggestions for both my questions?

I know SOPA and PIPA have now on the sidelines but in case you are interested:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248298/sopa_and_pipa_just_the_facts.html

Thanks

Christopher Jansen
IT / Mathematics Teacher