[Year 12 IT Apps] Data Normalisation

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at westnet.com.au
Thu Apr 26 18:10:25 EST 2012

Hello Benn

I'm not sure about your 2NF and 3NF because I'm not sure what 'cost', 'item cost' and 'item' are in relation to the original field 'item cost'.
However, as far as I can tell, except for one thing your first set of data is already in 1NF because no record has a repeating group; eg two book titles in the 'books purchased' field, or two equivalent fields such as 'books purchased 1' and 'books purchased 2'.

What is missing is a primary key that uniquely identifies each record. As far as I can tell this would mean the primary key should be: 'name' and 'book purchased'

In your 1NF you have split fields which, for this example, is probably a good idea, but not necessary to form 1NF; and you have added a 'cust id' field presumably as a primary key, but as pointed out above this will not uniquely identify a record, unless the intention is that 'cust id' is unique for each book purchased by each customer. I suspect that this is not intended so 'book' should also be italicised, indicating that it forms part of the primary key.

Once set up like this, one recognises that it is not in 2NF because there are fields that are dependent only on part of the primary key, thereby leading to the split tables as you have done.

Regards
Robert T-A