[Year 12 IT Apps] Table Normalisation

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 31 22:21:08 EST 2011

Hello Laura

I think there is not enough info to give definitive answers:

ticking 'First', one could say that nothing would happen. Reason: from the 3 records given there are no repeating groups - for example two boats for one name - so the table already is in 1NF.
However, one could argue that there appears to be no unique identifier for each record - there could be two Jon Rosses - so a primary key field needs to be added.

ticking 'Second', one could again say 'nothing'. Reason: We don't know what the primary key is, so, if we assume that 1NF adds a primary key field then the table is in 2NF already, so we don't do anything.  Basically 2NF doesn't allow a non-primary key column to be dependent on only part of the primary key. And from the info given there is no way to tell whether this is happening or not. So, if  we supposed that Name and memType formed the primary key (why I don't know but let's go with it), then 2NF would cause the three fees columns to disappear because they are presumably dependent only on memType; that is, they are not dependent on the complete primary key.

ticking 'Third', this time we can be more certain: the three fees columns would disappear (moved to create another table with memType as their primary key). Reason: the fees are dependent on memType (at least judging by the info given; eg there does not seem to be any dependence on Gender) and memType is presumably not a primary key in the given table. Therefore the fees belong in their own table (the problem is that if, for example, the club changed its fee structure then, with the table given, Sue might have her storage fee changed to the new amount, but Harry's might be overlooked - the db has lost integrity. 3NF prevents this.)

The distinction between 2NF and 3NF is this: 2NF requires non-key columns to be dependent on the whole key, while 3NF requires non-key columns to de dependent only on the key and nothing else

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC