[Year 12 IT Apps] Table Normalisation

Laura Fihelly fihl at crcsydenham.net
Thu Mar 31 10:59:19 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me with this Sample Exam question. I am trying
to understand table normalization. I have a general understanding of
what it means, but I'm not really sure about the actual differences in
this particular question between the second and third normal forms. As a
class we have been going through the textbook definition, but I'm
struggling to apply it to this particular sample question.

Also if anyone has some good resources on a simple (not so technical
way) of how to explain this easier it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Question 1

Below is a table from a yacht club's relational database.

Name

Boat Name

Address_Suburb

State

memType

Fees $

Gender

Boat Storage Fees $

Total Fees Due $

Sue Trowsdale

Suzy

21 Mountain Rd Rosebud

VIC

Senior

250.00

125.00

375.00

Jon Ross

Wahoo

64 View Rd McCrae

VIC

Junior

140.00

-

140.00

Harry Wilson

Victor

35 Shady Ln Rosebud

VIC

Life

-

125.00

125.00

2 marks

a.     Describe what would happen when you apply one of the First,
Second or Third Normal Forms to data in the table. Refer to the table in
your answer.

Tick the box to indicate which normal form you are describing.

   First o   or       Second  o     or         Third o

Laura Fihelly

Teacher of Business Management & Information Technologies

Catholic Regional College Sydenham

380 Sydenham Road

Sydenham 3037

email: fihl at crcsydenham.net