[Year 12 IT Apps] Here comes .XXX

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:37:46 EST 2011

Reminds of me of PICS, something that was designed to help teachers and
parents what children at a school can view online.
     http://www.w3.org/PICS
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_for_Internet_Content_Selection

Website authors could add some code into the header of a web page that would
help identify and classify the site or specific pages. If you are curious,
why not generate your own PICS metadata to drop into a website.
    http://vancouver-webpages.com/VWP1.0/VWP1.0.gen.html

Ken is right .. this is only as good as those that adopt these rules. Still,
it is something that particular industries have been pushing for.

Regards Roland

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's interesting to wonder whether this new domain will be adopted
> voluntarily well enough to make web filtering almost trivial.
>
> If the various "industries" that ought to be in the .xxx domain actually
> self-regulated and moved there, this could be beneficial both to them and to
> education.
>
> Or - they could totally ignore the new domain. We'll see.
>
> kp
>
> Ken Price
> Co-ordinator Online Services, Tasmanian eSchool
>
> Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Just FYI, Andrew.
>>
>> On 20 March 2011 13:40, Townsley, Andrew A
>>  <townsley.andrew.a at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
>> > What has this got to do with teaching children!
>> >
>> > A.Townsley
>> > townsley.andrew.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
>> > Fountain Gate SC

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College