[Year 12 IT Apps] CMS on networked computers

George Ciotti ciotti.george.w at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 13 10:26:21 EST 2010

There were quite a few responses to this when it was discussed earlier this
year on this list. One of these responses pointed to utilizing iWebkit.

http://iwebkit.net/

I am a big fan of CMS and discussed the possibilities, given some of the
suggestions offered from others on the list, with our technical staff. At
the time it seemed problematic but the techies are starting to open their
eyes to the possibilities more and more. In the interim I have deployed the
iWebkit with my year 10¹s and it is working very well.
The environment can be set up quite easily, (our technical support got the
environment up and running in 2 days, and it works perfectly ) with
permissions either flexible or restrictive; in the case of a SAC for
example.
In a Windows environment the students use a portable Google Chrome browser
and edit their code with either Notepad, which we are using, and/or DW. In a
Mac environment they use Safari. So all bases covered there.
The best thing about iWebKit is that it isn¹t hard to get up and running and
it ticks all the required criteria. It can be viewed on an iPhone or Android
capable phone and the level of teacher control is optimum.
I can send you a more detailed outline of how it works at our school
together with the resources I am using with the kids if you would like. I am
thinking of actually doing a tutorial using iWebkit when I get a chance in
any case.
But I thoroughly recommend it as something that needs to be investigated
along with CMS for ease of use and educational merit ­ it uses a mix of HTML
5 and CSS 3, so it is initiating students to the future of web coding.

Cheers
George

-->
The University High School
77 Story Street, Parkville, Vic, 3052, Australia
Ph: (03) 9347 2022
mobile: 0412934782