[Year 12 IT Apps] year level and ICT skills

Brett Groves groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Oct 7 15:00:03 EST 2010

Sure Brendyn, this list is sort of an amalgam of VELS and what fits in
with our subject requirements with a measure of judgement thrown in.

Use it as you wish but beware there is a large dollop of opinion in it!

Regards,

Brett Groves

_*Minimum Entry level*_

*Computer Operations*

Identifies hardware components eg. keyboard, mouse, monitor/screen

Identifies cursor Mouse cursor

*Word Processing*

Locates and uses return/enter, space, delete/backspace, shift, caps lock

Selects/highlights text

Deletes text

Varies font, size and style

Changes text alignment

*Graphics*

Uses freehand drawing tools - pencil, straight and curved lines

Uses shape tools/objects

Uses paintbrush, paintbox/fill with colour, spray can/airbrush, eraser

Uses text tool

Selects objects with selection tool

Deletes selected objects

Crops selected objects

Copies/duplicates graphic elements

Uses line properties - thickness/colour

Uses fill pattern/colours/shading

Uses a digital camera to create a graphics

*Internet*

Understands and uses key words in a simple search

*Email*

Interprets features of a new message eg. To, Cc, Subject

_*Year 8*_

*Computer Operations*

Matches equipment to purpose - eg digital camera to capture images

Selects menu items from a drop-down menu

Starts an application and creates a document

Names and saves a document in appropriate folder/directory

Retrieves, revises and renames a document

Understands difference between "save" and "save as"

Prints document

Uses print preview to view a document before printing

Considers what needs to be printed eg pages to print

Understands and uses dialogue boxes

*Word Processing*

Uses appropriate terms - font, upper/lower case, bold, italics, underline

Types sentence(s) without assistance

Inserts text

Creates text box

Uses borders

*Graphics*

Inserts graphics from various sources eg. clip art, digital image

Changes the size of displayed clip art/graphics

Uses a digital camera to create a graphics file

Moves clip art/graphics within a document

*Multimedia*

Inserts slides

Chooses appropriate slide design and layout

*Internet*

Uses prepared bookmarks

Understands key features of a web page (links, site map, feedback, email)

Contributes to the creation of a basic web-page - text, graphics,
hyperlinks

*Email*

Retrieves and replies to an email

_*Year 9*_

*Computer Operations*

Recognises the typical features of an applications window -- title bar,
toolbar, menu bar, status bar, scroll bar

Discriminates in the choice of applications for a given purpose

Understands orientation of page for document layout

*Word processing*

Uses undo command

Uses spell checker

Changes margins and line spacing

*Graphics*

Flips, rotates objects

Layers objects - moves to front/back

Uses a scanner to convert a picture into a graphics file

*Multimedia*

Creates a simple slide show with text, images

*Internet*

Understands purpose of a browser

Understands the general structure of a web address

Equates URL with web address

Uses prepared bookmarks

Uses and understands the features of a browser (back, forward, stop,
search, refresh, history, home buttons, address bar, loading status)

Chooses appropriate sites from a search

Interprets information from a website

Cites any electronic references to information used

*Email*

Understands the general structure of an email address

Interprets features of an inbox eg. owner, date, subject, size

Interprets features of a retrieved message eg. From, Date sent, Reply,

Retrieves and replies to an email

*Databases*

Understands structure/purpose of a database

Opens and uses a commercial database eg. electronic encyclopaedias

Locates specific information searching by subject, key word, author

Locates specific record(s) using find function

Uses relevant fields

Chooses appropriate data types for fields

Sorts data

Adds/deletes records

Edits data in an existing record

_*Year 10*_

*Computer Operations*

Has a knowledge of drop-down menus, what sub-menus they contain and
conventions for activating them

*Word Processing*

Understands cut, copy, paste

Realises limitations of spell checker

Uses thesaurus

Adds a table to a document and edits rows and columns

Understands factors that affect appearance of text on a page

Understands use of Tab to indent

Uses bullets, numbering

*Graphics*

Uses freehand drawing tools - pencil, straight and curved lines

Uses a digital camera to create a graphics file

Understands animation/illusion of movement

*Multimedia*

Adds sounds

Creates a master slide template

Understands that a presentation is clear, concise and logical

*Internet*

Understands navigation buttons/hyperlinks

Uses prepared bookmarks

Uses and understands the features of a browser (back, forward, stop,
search, refresh, history, home buttons, address bar, loading status)

Bookmarks a location

Determines whether information is current, accurate and reliable

*Email*

Sends an attachment with an email

*Spreadsheets*

Understands the purpose/structure of a spreadsheet

Interprets data from an existing spreadsheet

Understands terminology - column, row, cell, cell range

Understands cell addressing

Enters data (labels, values) in a cell

Formats data in a cell eg. bold, alignment

Generates appropriate graphs eg. bar, column, line

Changes column width and row height

Adds/deletes row/columns

Uses sum formula and undertakes basic calculations

Understands strengths and weaknesses of a spreadsheet

*Databases*

Understands strengths and weaknesses of databases

Understands basic terminology - fields, records, files