[Year 12 IT Apps] Cyber Security

Stow, Cameron C stow.cameron.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Nov 7 18:49:00 EST 2010

Hi all,

An interesting video about cyber security from Kuala Lumpur.

Video can be found here: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/10/28/malaysia.cyber.security/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Article:

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (CNN) -- In the future, warfare may shift from a battlefield to a keyboard.

Superpowers might deem a nuclear exchange too destructive, but already they are developing Weapons of Mass Disruption; software viruses that are designed to cripple the operating systems of power stations, dams, traffic lights and public transport.

This is the stark warning from Datuk Mohammed Noor Amin Chairman of the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber Threats (IMPACT).

"It's not just superpowers, even medium-powers are increasingly equipping themselves with the skills to do harm. The only issue is whether it is going to be used or not," said Amin.

If you think of computer viruses in equivalent terms to pathological viruses in the real world, then IMPACT is akin to the Center for Disease Control.

It's not just superpowers, even medium-powers are increasingly equipping themselves with the skills to do harm.
--Datuk Mohammed Noor Amin, Chairman, IMPACT
RELATED TOPICS

*	Computer Technology <http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Computer_Technology>
*	Computer Security <http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Computer_Security>
*	Technology <http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Technology>
*	Southeast Asia <http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Southeast_Asia>

In a new building near Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, IMPACT is a focus for excellence, understanding and prevention, where computer viruses, malware, botnets and other types of harmful rogue programs are analyzed, tracked and ultimately stopped.

IMPACT helps 45 countries around the world cope with an increasing tide of computer viruses. It's hoping to expand rapidly to encompass the rest of the globe in coming years.

It's starting with those that are most vulnerable many in the developing world. These states often lack the expertise to deal with sophisticated attempts to bring down their cyber infrastructure.

Amin says Cyber warfare is one of the biggest threats: "Unlike conventional warfare where there is an established court of practice, because the internet realm is a new medium, there is no established court of conduct or establish principles on what is acceptable and what is not. We espouse the concept of cyber peace, which tries to get countries to steer away from manipulation of cyber networks to harm civilian populations."

There are no equivalents to the Geneva Conventions online. Amin thinks that has to change.

"We are hoping with time there will be a convention or treaty, but I don't see it happening in the short-term."

At IMPACT's heart is a room normally off-limits to visitors. This is the Global Response Center where a huge wall displays a stream of data on current threat levels and geographical locators showing where in the world the threats are coming from.

While we were there both China and the U.S. were shown as being the source of different viruses.

Anuj Singh is the Director of this facility and says it was the 2007 cyber attack on Estonia that resulted in IMPACT being established with such urgency.

"The whole country came to a halt and that's where IMPACT came about. So now we can assist countries if something similar happens in the future. We have the resources here," said Singh

That means a network of experts on call to assist virtually any country in the world. One major lesson from the Estonia situation was that no one there had the first idea who to call to get their country back on-line quickly.

IMPACT seeks to fill that void.

regards,

Cameron Stow
Hopetoun Secondary College
Leading Teacher - Elearning Technologies
PO BOX 211,
Hopetoun, Vic, 3396
T: 03 5083 3203
F: 03 5083 3016