[Year 12 IT Apps] Full sentences versus dot points

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 4 08:14:55 EST 2010

I encourage dot points, especially for "List..." or "Name..." questions, but
the answer should still have all the necessary detail to show their
understanding (something the examiners always complain about.)

The waffle is always an issue. I tell my kids not to start writing until
they know what their main point is and what the opening words should be.  If
it takes a full minute to formulate the exact opening words, it's time well
spent; better than half a para of wasting ink and time while they think
through what they're actually trying to say.

Some of the very best answers I see are half the length of the weaker
answers because they start exactly with the main point and stop when the
relevant point has finished.

I think kids are brainwashed in junior school that if they *look* busy, they
are doing the right thing.  Staring into space and actually thinking was a
sure way to get a curt "Jimmy? What are you doing? Start writing
immediately!" from the teacher.

It's a hard habit to break, even for teachers.

1.8c worth (if you have coupons)

On 3 November 2010 12:20, Paul Miller <pmiller at olsh.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just out of curiosity, what do you all tell your kids about writing answers
> in dot point format in the exam? I've never read anything in my memory in
> examiners reports about not using dot points in answers. Also, as a
> preference, when marking I actually find it easier to mark work that has
> been dot pointed. Is there a particular stem that requires no dot points?
> Opinions??
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> The contents of this email are confidential.  Any unauthorised use of the
> This email (including any attachments) is confidential. If you are not the
> intended recipient you must not copy, use, disclose, distribute or rely on
> the information contained in it. Confidentiality and legal privilege
> attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken
> delivery to you. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College Bentleigh does not
> guarantee that this email or attachments are unaffected by computer virus,
> corruption or other defects. Any views expressed in this message are those
> of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Our
> Lady of the Sacred Heart College Bentleigh.

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.