[Year 12 IT Apps] itapps RIP

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 1 13:19:10 EST 2010

Dear Andrew

Like everyone on this list you have a right to express an opinion about
the study design, but I would like to clarify a couple of your comments
in fairness to the panel ('course writers') and the curriculum
development process. Just as an elaboration, the panel comprises
teachers from each sector (all outstanding, and highly regarded
teachers), academics and representatives from subject associations and
industry.

Industry groups were consulted during the development of the study, and
industry groups were also able to engage in the public consultation
process in July/August last year (as were teachers). The panel also drew
on a range of reputable reports, and was informed by research undertaken
by the VCAA. Such reports included 2008 ICT Skills Snapshot; The State
of ICT Skills in Victoria, (Multimedia Victoria) and University IT
graduates for ICT occupations in Victoria 2008 - 2022, prepared for
Multimedia Victoria by Monash University. The VCAA conducted its own
research into why the enrolments in IT applications had declined, and as
a generalisation, the following reasons were provided by schools.

*          Students believed that they possessed 'enough' ICT skills
without having to do formal study

*          Students had the impression that IT employment prospects were
poor and that IT is no longer 'trendy'

*          Competition between other subjects and university
prerequisites (IT apps not a university pre-req; students think that IT
apps has a heavy workload and are they are concerned about scaling;
there is less pressure and greater flexibility in VET IT; Software
development has better career prospects)

*          Structure of subjects in the middle years - embedding of ICT
leads to the perception that IT cannot be a stand-alone subject.

*          Misconceptions about VCE IT - some students think that the
course will be mainly practical (in particular playing games) and are
put off by the theory

*          Many students don't like databases - more interested in
social software tools than database.

Regarding constraints, the development of the study design commences two
years before its implementation. The design process takes 12 months and
schools are then given a 12 month lead time. The study design also has
an accreditation period for 4 years. All of these constraints are
imposed for the benefit of teachers to give them some level of stability
(4-year accreditation period) as well as an opportunity to become
familiar with the study (workshop, resources, lead-time). When designing
the study design, the impact of these constraints is seriously
considered, and a range of techniques are used to accommodate the
dynamic nature of the ICT field. E.g. annual listing of approved
websites to support online communities.

And to finish off my 'few words worth', every teacher and organisation
had a 4-week opportunity last year to provide feedback on the study
design - not one response indicated that the study design was outdated
and irrelevant.

Regards

Paula

Paula Christophersen