[Year 12 IT Apps] itapps RIP

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 1 12:34:17 EST 2010

Hi Andrew,

I have to disagree with you on a number of counts.

"The reason for the death of ITAPPS is because the course writers couldn't
keep up to date with the emerging technology" - there is plenty of emerging
technology in the course with the flexibility of adding in technologies that
come to the fore as the course is running.  One of the challenges in writing
a 4-year course AND writing a technology based course is how quickly
technology moves.  However, the writing team has taken this into account and
kept the course as open as possible.

"with spreadsheets and databases considered irrelevant by the kids" -
really?  How are databases irrelevant when the every single information
system in the world relies on them (including the Internet)?  Did you have a
look at that great "how Google works" link?  Show that to your students and
they will not say that databases are irrelevant.  And spreadsheets - well, I
have a spreadsheet for my own household budget, I do my tax returns in
spreadsheets, my builder (we are doing a renovation at the moment), has a
huge spreadsheet and he scares on a daily basis with how many of our costs
are running over.  At the risk of being controversial - spreadsheets and
databases are in the teaching.  You could make them very boring if you
wanted to!

"There was not enough consultation done with business/industry groups to
look exactly at what IT skills need to be explicitly taught." - how do you
know this?  I was on the writing panel and I can tell you that there was
wide consultation with both tertiary and industry!

"course did nothing for me or the students and the revised study design will
terminate it" - I don't think that the students know much about the course
content and we assume too much when we say that the students don't like the
new course.  Our students are not reading the new study design and they only
know what we tell them (or what students from previous years tell them).

My 2c - and I AM biased - yes.

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian Janson B.Sc, Dip.Ed, M.Ed
Director of ICT
Melbourne High School, Forrest Hill, South Yarra, Victoria 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au
Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org