[Year 12 IT Apps] Advice on running a PHP/MYSQL course? (Lee, James)

Selina Dennis selina at dennis.net.au
Tue May 4 20:39:19 EST 2010

Hi James,

When we taught PHP/mySQL, I used a spare machine (just a desktop) and
installed both PHP and mySQL on that. I chose to run it via Windows (using
WAMP server) so that it was easy to plug into the network. Students then had
the machine mapped onto the network drives - they saved files directly to
that machine in folders that matched their user names.

It does mean working with your TSP to sync up usernames/passwords/folders
and to add the share to the network, but it made it very straightforward for
students to use PHP/mySQL without having to formally "upload" anything via
file transfer.

As far as teaching PHP, I highly recommend Kevork's text - very easy to use
in a classroom environment.

Hope that helps,

Selina Dennis
Strathmore Secondary College