[Year 12 IT Apps] Study design - 56Kbps modem

Robert robert at yinnar.com
Wed Mar 24 17:42:32 EST 2010

So sorry to see the demise of this wonderful device - I assume Mark that you meant 56Kbps, 56bps would be a tad slow even by the standards of yester-year. Gee I am getting old! How many of you "out there" started with 300bps modems?

I still have the delight of using a 56Kbps modem for access when down at Yinnar. It works well although a tad slowly, especially when people send you emails with photos with file sizes of 1-4 MB.

Brings up a different issue. The waste and cost to us all of sending oversize or useless data over the internet.

Useless as in spam. It costs us all. Clogs up the network.

Oversize as in the example of emails with photo attachments. Used to be that I would resize photos to 640x480, when that was the normal screen resolution, and save as jpg files at 70% quality to make sure that the files I sent were of a reasonable size. Not so any more. My rels take photos on their 10MB cameras and send them to me as high quality jpegs.  I can't even view them directly onscreen as they are far too  big. I don't want to print out high quality A4 prints from all these photos, so why send them to me at this size?

Enough of the rantings of an aging, not yet old, fart.

Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
Ashwood and Traralgon
robert at yinnar.com